Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Holiday Books - Christmas & Hannukah

Christmas Books
My Favorites:
Santa Mouse by Michael Brown
This is a favorite from my childhood.  This book sat near the fireplace  at my grandmother's house and every year I would read sit on her blue velvet couch and read this book.  This book brings me back to some of my fondest memories.
 I opened up my box of Christmas books this year, and this book was missing.  I plan on a thorough search of all my boxes, and if I can't find it, I'll have to find a copy.
The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsberg
This is a great book.  Every child would love to ride the Polar Express.  I'm sure my children listen just as intently for this train's whistle as they do for Santa's sleigh bells.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss
Classic! Every year I start to become a little Grinch-like as I think of all the unimportant To-Do's that surround the holiday, so this is a good book to remind me that Christmas doesn't come in a box, but is felt in the love we share.
Olive, the Other Reindeer by J. Otto Seibold
I love Olive. Please do not confuse this cute book with the awful Christmas special. Olive is a dog who believes in herself and makes things happen.
Berenstain Bears Meet Santa Bear by Stan & Jan Berenstain
Berenstain Bears do a great job of explaining things, including a visit to Santa Bear.
This is the Stable by Cynthia Cotten
Beautiful poem that explains in simple language the role of each person that First Christmas.
The Stable Where Jesus Was Born by Rhonda Gowler Greene
I love this book about the Nativity, too.  A poem that builds on itself.  Beautiful illustrations, beautiful poem, beautiful book.
Who is Coming to Our House by Joseph Slate
The animals in the stable prepare for Mary, Joseph, and Baby Jesus.
Christmas in the Manger by Nola Buck
Very simple, sweet explanation of the Nativity.  I love Felicia Bond's sweet, simple drawings.
More Christmas Books






The Night Before Christmas by Clement C. Moore
The Sweet Smell of Christmas by Patricia Scarry
The Christmas Magic by Lauren Thompson
If You Take a Mouse to the Movies by Felicia Bond
The Gift of the Traveler by Wendy Matthews
Snowmen at Christmas by Carolyn and Mark Buehner
That First Night by B.G. Hennessey
Little Porcupine's Christmas by Joseph Slate
A Merry Little Christmas by Mary Engelbreit
Come and See: A Christmas Story by Monica Mayper
When Jesus Was Born in Bethlehem by Joseph Brickey
The Christmas Miracle of Jonathon Toomey by
Christmas Treasury  Compiled by Dalmatian Press
Merry Christmas, Amelia Bedelia by Peggy Parrish 
Mooseltoe! by Margie Palatini
Santa and the Three Bears by Dominic Catalano
The Biggest Christmas Tree Ever by Steven Kroll
Christmas Mice by Bethany Roberts
Jingle Bell Mice Illustrated by Lisa McCue
The Littlest Christmas Tree by Janie Jasin
My Favorite Hanukkah Books
Yes, I have a few Hanukkah books, too. I kept these after I"retired from teaching" (became a stay at home mom) because they are great books! My kids love them and they are as much a part of our "Christmas Books" as How the Grinch Stole Christmas
Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins by Eric A. Kimmel My #1 favorite
The Chanukah Guest by Eric A. Kimmel I really love this book
The Magic Dreidels by Eric A. Kimmel

These are my favorite Chritmas books, what are yours? I'd love to hear about your favorite Christmas books, and Christmas memories.

2 comments:

  1. Wow-I looked over your lesson plans and you have given me lots of ideas. If ever you want to combine, let me know. I will be doing two days of English learning and combine it with a day of Spanish as well.
    Tara Jones
    tarakealoha@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tara! What a nice first comment on my blog! I am so excited you like it. It sounds like you have some awesome ideas, too. I want to know more about teaching Spanish as part of your preschool curriculum. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete